UNITED CHURCH WOMEN (UCW)
Our purpose is to provide an environment through which women of all ages may have an opportunity to express and demonstrate their loyalty and devotion to Jesus Christ.
What do we do?
- Pursue spiritual growth as we continue our faith journey.
- Actively involve ourselves in the life of our Church.
- Conduct fund raising activities to support our Church, United Church projects and the West-Island Community.
How do we function?
We have three active units who meet monthly to enjoy fellowship and laughter while pursuing our spiritual growth. We extend a warm invitation to all women of the Congregation to join us and to make new lifelong friends. Our many activities can be described as follows:
- The Monthly Unit meetings are held from September to May, Unit 4 usually at the Church, and Units 2 and 3 usually at the home of one of the unit members. Come and join us at one of our unit meetings:
- Unit 2 meets on the 2nd Tuesday evening of each month
- Unit 3 meets on the 1st Wednesday afternoon of each month
- Unit 4 meets on the 2nd Monday morning of each month
- Executive meets the 1st Monday of each month.
- Each unit also has home members who are not able to attend meetings, who are, however, able to help us reach out to people by phone and help with our catering and baking needs.
- Two or three times per year all our members meet one evening for a General Meeting. A major part of this is devoted to a presentation by an outside speaker. Sometimes the meeting starts with a pot-luck supper.
- Once a month we take our turn to greet the Congregation at the door for the Sunday service, read the Scripture and take up the offering.
- Sometimes, when our Minister is away on holidays or study leave, we prepare for and conduct a Sunday worship service.
- Once a month we serve coffee, tea and juice after the Service. We also make sure there always are sufficient supplies for this.
- We regularly decorate the Church for special occasions as Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas.
- We place The Upper Room in the Narthex, supply Bibles to the Confirmands and maintain the Library.
- We run an efficient “Catering Service”. We do a lot of fund raising by organizing a Fall Bazaar, several Banquets and Military Whists.
- We are actively involved in Outreach. We have monthly visits to Ste. Anne’s Hospital and have, in the past, provided financial contributions to, for example, Montreal City Mission, Mission and Service, Caring and Helping Hands, Cheshire Foundation, Saint Columba House, West-Island Women’s Shelter, West Island Palliative Care Residence and Ste-Geneviève United Church.
“A Church Family To Come Home To!”